Wednesday, 26 March 2014

More training and another baby!

So yesterday turned up to do another training day for the rest of the staff - typical pattern, meant to start at 10, turns out everyone apart from me thought it was 11 and then we started at 11.30 :-) I didn't want to do it all in one day again as it really is a bit too much but there was no other time to do it. This group had better English and were generally a bit more experienced, at least on some subjects, so in many ways it was slightly easier. Amala, a senior nurse-midwife with 20 years experience was on hand all day to translate difficult bits and help with the role plays in which she came into her own - her acting skills were extremely good and had all the girls laughing!

Discussing PPH

PPH role play


Brain storming shoulder dystocia

Role play neonatal resucitation

Practising neonatal resuscitation

Good head position!
The obligatory end of the day photo's... seriously there are hundreds...
All through the training a young woman was in the birthing room in early labour, being looked after by the staff on duty. This was her second baby but was only contracting 1:10, mild to palpate, so I popped in from time to time to see if she was ok and make sure she was eating and drinking. I couldn't help comparing the difference between this woman and those at the hospital as she spent the day walking round the room and intermittently resting, supported by her husband. Later the whole family came by and brought her food. When I left in the evening she was thinking of going home as she had not become established and contractions were the same but when I rang this morning she had had a lovely normal delivery of a baby boy. I felt very happy to think that she had experienced a nice delivery, close to her home with no complications.

No comments:

Post a Comment