Today I went with Rashmi to a health camp organised by the JCI women's group for International Women's Day. I wasn't sure what to expect but it was a great day and I was really impressed with the girls. They all work or study full time and participate in JCI as volunteers. The event was well attended and there was a great atmosphere, with lots of chat and interaction. (They told me later that they had initially asked the men of the villlage to inform the women which they promised that they had. However, when they turned up they found that no-one had been informed so they went door to door inviting everyone).
 |
| Everyone tooks turns to introduce themselves... |
 |
| Me trying to talk Nepali... |
|
Rashmi mainly spoke, covering topics like breast cancer, contraception, pelvic floor exercises and the role of a midwife. She is passionate about promoting midwifery - I heard the word different emphasised several times! I was asked to talk about cervical cancer and the importance of pap smears which initially I wondered about a little as they then just had to translate it into Nepali for the women. However, I realised that in a way my most useful role is as a mascot for midwifery and my presence as a western midwife helps Rashmi promote it as a legitimate profession. The women were all so friendly and made me feel really welcome. I felt glad that I had continued to work on my Nepali as they all seemed very pleased when I tried to speak Nepali. One of the girls laughed delightedly when I introduced myself and told me it made her very very happy that I speak her language!
 |
| Rashmi at work.. she was great, got them all laughing about pelvic floor exercises :-) |
 |
| The village of Bode, on the way to Bhaktapur |
|
No comments:
Post a Comment