So am sat writing this back in the UK after a busy few weeks. Spent a delightful night at the Hyatt hotel (a present from Anna for my birthday), in which we guzzled all the free food, swam in the pool and luxuriated in the constant supply of hot water (3 showers and a bath in 24 hours). After spending the day round the pool we went to collect Ben from the airport, a task I enlivened by leaving first my swimming costume, then my cardigan and then my swimming costume (again!) at the hotel. The next few days we spent a little time pottering about Patan and Kathmandu, introducing Ben to the friends I had made and taking a little trip to the birth centre. One of the nurses made me chuckle by looking at Ben and then saying furtively "dating?" and when I responded in the affirmative gave me a hi five. We had a lovely dinner with Rashmi and a few of the rest of the senior staff in which both me and Ben were presented with little presents, so characteristic of the generosity and warmth I have experienced from so many people during my stay.


It was then off to Pokhara and trekking for 4 days which was awesome. We followed the established route of taxi to Nayapul, then trekking from Nayapul to Ulleri, Ulleri to Ghorepani, Ghorepani to Tadopani, Tadopani to Kimche, then a jeep back to Nayapul. It was a beautiful route and we had the full range of weather conditions making us, as brits, feel very at home. We were lucky to have enough good weather to see the mountains for the first couple of the days though, getting a stunning vista at Ghorepani. The last two days we mainly surveyed clouds of swirling white mist, accompanied by the ever present backdrop of "Ah on a clear day the views are magnificent!" Well yes.
 |
| View from Ulleri |
 |
| On the way to Ghorepani |
 |
| Annapurna range at Ghorepani on an exceptionally clear day. |
 |
| View from Poonhill :-) |
 |
| Steps! Lots and lots of steps. |
 |
| Resting at Tadopani |
Back to Pokhara for a day recovering and then off rafting with Paddle Nepal. Very enjoyable and a nice way to travel down the country, I relished the opportunity to spend some time in the water, something I very much missed in Kathmandhu. Not that you want to spend too much time considering the quality of the water of course, something Ben failed to understand, saying enthusiastically at the start "Lets get
in this open sewer!"
 |
| Camping on the beach. Probably the most uncomfortable camping experience ever but very pretty. |
After finishing the rafting we got a bus to Chitwan where we spent 3 nights at the lovely Sapana Village Lodge which really was a haven after the noise and bustle of both Kathmandu and Pokhara. A fantastic place to hang out and just watch the huge numbers of birds flitting about.We did manage to muster the energy to go on a rather nice jeep safari though and a cycle to 20,000 lake taking in the local area.
 |
| Relaxing at the lodge |

 |
| On safari! |
 |
| I spy... |
 |
| ... a rhino! |
It was then back to Kathmandhu for a few rushed goodbyes including hopeful intentions to return. It was lovely meeting up with Rashmi one last time, she has been a pleasure to get to know - passionate, knowledgeable and always ready to giggle hysterically at a moments notice. I shall miss Nepal, with its tasty massala tea, ubiquitous dogs, crazy traffic and surprisingly relaxed vibe. Perhaps I'll be back.
 |
| My kurta, a combined present from Emma and Shared who bought the material and Rashmi who had it made. Next time I get invited to a Nepali wedding I will be sorted! |
No comments:
Post a Comment